
The drive maybe makes it even better, because it puts the town into the context of the caravan routes: here’s the view across the plain east, taken from the town of Nalut, roughly halfway between Tripoli and Ghadames, and the last major town before you hit the long southern drive. I’ll cover Nalut in a separate entry, because it has a Berber fortified granary (qasr), but the reason I include this photo now is because I want to show the scale of the land. Imagine the caravans from the coastal settlements crossing through this valley, heading for the pass up to the plateau.

Now imagine the caravans coming up from the south, through the Sahara: not that we went anywhere near the Sahara on this trek (Ghadames is an oasis in the Red Rocky Desert, Hamada al-Hamra), but you get the point – Ghadames would have been a rock-solid anchor of life to the traders crossing this land by camel. The drive strips away advertising clichés and reminds you of the real meaning of an oasis.

There’s been settlements in the area since the Romans and before, but the current preserved old town dates from around 800 years ago. It was still a thriving town till the early 1980s, when new houses were supplied to encourage modernisation; now it’s practically deserted for living, though mosques and livestock areas still appear to be in use (stories vary about whether the inhabitants were forced to move or not).


Ghadames had two main sections for two major families, with each having three or four sub-families, so that there are seven sections/ main streets/ squares/ mosques/ gates, plus the main square. The main square, with two mosques (one per major family), is actually pretty small given its importance for the seven families – it was a central place for news and water and would have been crowded. The al-kadus (‘the bottle’) niche, used for water distribution, is in this square – more about that next week.


Inside the city, the whitewashed mudbrick houses are wall-to-wall, end-to-end, and all the laneways are covered over to hide from the sun, so you feel like you’re walking underground. Only the main streets have skylights, and the way the light falls in the evening makes you want to take photos of light. You wouldn’t believe how beautiful it can be.
Off the main skylit streets are smaller streets, no skylights, leading directly into family residential areas, and they twist and turn back into the dark like the runs of a rabbit warren.
7 comments:
Hm..your pics look like there has been an alien invasion and everybody´s gone for good. Did they really close of the old city and move everybody out?
I think the charm of Ghadames is gone once the people left their homes. What interest is there in seeing rows of empty marked places or a shiny white but empty souq street?
As the Cap'n says Ghadames was amazing, and maybe a whole series of pics of just the doors is warranted in this place too. As for Libya in general, the things that struck me this week are 1) the proliferation of tuna pizza and 2) how quickly I got used to the driving and became one of the maniacs.
I'm petty sure I've never come across a pizza with Tuna on it back in Oz. It tastes ok, but I can think of so many ingredients i'd rather have. Our driver was disgusted when I suggested pineapple on a pizza, but when I started thinking of all the ones I've had with pineapple on them, well, they also had some kind of pork product. So maybe he had a point. But even so, they have lamb, beef, and camel to put on, plus all the fresh vegies you could want. I have found one good pizza shop that does branch away for tuna pizza, so I'll probably stick with them for awhile.
Indicators on cars have quickly became a suggestion for me here, just like the locals. I'm still pretty good at sticking to the lane markings though, except when there's potholes and missing man hole covers to dogde. My favourites are the ones where the manhole cover isn't missing, it's just jutting up at an angle so it can take out the bottom of your car even if your wheels do miss it.
Hey guys
It's so good to be able to "catch up" via your blog. It sounds like you guys are having a great time and all your photos are fantastic. So interesting. Ambassador - trust you to discuss pizza credibility! :) Captain - (also my nickname, so I'm feeling the kinship) some of your postings are reminding me of words/places in a fantastic book: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Definitely recommend it if you haven't already read it.
Ah, other ex-pats have been talking about that book; I believe it is on at the book club.
Amazing. Looks like it's the sort of trip that can give you a real sense of the history, without any of the current politics to filter it. And it looks so beautiful.
I have a vague memory of the Cap'n making a tuna pizza at a sleepover, many years ago - maybe I just imagined that though!
G'day Hannah, good to see you - the Cap'n can do the high brow stuff, I'll chip in with the real issues of the day. I must warn you though, pizza may be a re-occurring theme
I remember no such tuna pizza! Well, we all do crazy things when we're young...
Post a Comment