I think the Malta prehistoric/pre-knight culture is under-rated. We saw three temples, one of which was built entirely underground, the Hal Saflieni Hypogeum; we were lucky to get into that one as they limit numbers carefully for environment control, but they don’t allow photos. Here’s a site that does:
http://www.jimdiamondmd.com/MaltaTemples.htm

This is part of the temple on Gozo, the Gigantija, so-named because it was once thought to have been built by a race of giants (because the stones are bigger than they look from these photos. This is thought to be the oldest free-standing structure anywhere, some 5000 years old.

This is the Tarxien temple, near the underground temple – they are finding the underground complexes were often built near an above ground temple, so it seems to have been a part of the religion. It’s not as well-preserved as the one on Gozo, but is bigger. There are other temples we didn’t get to, and all are different; this site has some lovely photos.
I looked in on the Museum of Archaeology in Valletta – they have collected some of the prehistoric statues and temple figurines they’ve found – the photos aren’t wonderful, sorry.


My favourite, the Sleeping Lady, perhaps a depiction of death, and perhaps not a woman at all, was found in the Hypogeum. Then there is the ‘Venus of Malta’, and a fine collection of sitting ladies. The heads, by the way, have not been broken off, they appear to have been designed to be removable/interchangeable.

We did the catacombs in Rabat next to Mdina. (Rabat meaning ‘suburb’, Mdina meaning ‘city’ – as with the Medina here in Tripoli).


These are photos of St Paul’s Catacombs, which are large and have an audio tour; you can see some of the various types of tombs here, and a table used for feasting to celebrate/mourn the dead, and a tomb ‘plug’ thought to be for a doctor, given the tools depicted on it. They were thought to have started from a cave in Phoenician times; and are surprisingly multicultural, holding the dead of Christian, Jewish, and Arabic peoples of the time.


We also went to St Agatha’s Catacombs; no photos allowed here, but it did have some fine paintings on the wall, all defaced by Arabs arriving after the Romans, but still recognisably fine work – here is a scan of St Agatha from a newspaper. We were lucky enough to have a torch with us, so we able to go off the lit paths in St Agatha’s and into the maze of catacombs they don’t think tourists want to see.
To finish, here are some nice photos around Mdina. The main entry and a view of the walls, the view from the wall on the other side of town (note the Mosta dome, mentioned in the last entry – see, it is big, isn’t it?), their cathedral (behind which is a fantastic cathedral museum, with artworks and coins and other interesting things, and OK, I know I sound old now), some winding streets ...






... and lastly the backside of the heraldic lion at the gate, which I feel is quite well-made.
2 comments:
Hi guys,
I loved it! I am quite jealous right now. I was fascinated by pompeii and spent hours there. The temples in Malta are now a must see for me as well as Peru, home of the Incas. One day we will get there.
Can't wait for the next blog!
Ran xo
Hey Rhianne, glad you're enjoying! Hopefully when you get to Malta it won't be completely crowded with tourists. It was good to see them restricting the numbers into some sites to preserve them.
This week in Ambassador land I wanted to focus on juice instead of food. I can't remember if I have mentioned it before but I went to a restaurant here a few weeks ago and got fresh squeezed strawberry juice. What the? Yep, it was actual crushed strawberries, I assume with some water to get it flowing, but as near as I could taste it was nearly 100% fresh strawberries. How much? $3 I think. And it was a big glass. Now in Oz, just the strawberries to make that much juice would cost a small fortune.
Now fruits here are very seasonal, which is good because you know when it is available that it's because it's fresh, not frozen for the last 6 months to make sure they can supply it all year round like with apples in OZ. The in season fruit here at the moment is melons. Last night we went to a different restaurant and when I asked for the fresh squeezed juice I was told it was currently rock melon. Rock Melon?! Not the juiciest fruit I've ever eaten, but they got juice out of it alright. It was good, very thick, but good. Bizarre.
The Cap'n should be resuming posts on Libya this week. I've tried to take a few shots of the neighbourhood as requested by many people, but our current camera is just too...prominant. Our cheapy slimline-discrete camera is due to arrive soon though. It's a security thing - there's many places in the world you really shouldn't pull out $1000 worth of camera and wave it around.
Post a Comment