Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Red Crescent

Sorry for the unexplained absence, a combination of lack of internet and laziness kept me from the blog last week.

Instead of the red cross, the red crescent here represents medical services. I say red, but I've seen black and green crescents too. So hospitals are generally marked with a plain crescent, and ambulances and other medical vehicles are marked with a crescent.


Related services are marked with the crescent plus a symbol. The most common one you'll see is the pharmacy one: a cup and snake (the cup/bowl of Hygieia, very common sign for pharmacologists worldwide). I've given one example, but the symbol varies widely from more and less stylised.

Other symbols include a tooth to show a dentist, a ACROD-style person-in-wheelchair to show a store selling disability supplies, and a microscope to show a medical lab.


Some are a little harder to interpret...there's these two, that I got on the way to Sabratha. The first one, I'm guessing, is a sign for a family practice GP?


The second - well, that looks like a pair of kidneys and a bladder to me, so urinary tract specialist?

2 comments:

LadyCroc said...

Yes, the sign with the kidneys says indeed "kidney specialist".
I wonder what a sign for veneral diseases would look lik ;-))

old momma said...

thanks for the translations! Now I know what to look for when looking for care.