Monday, October 10, 2005

Character blogs

A while ago I wondered if there were blogs maintained by fictional characters for the purposes of promotion or creating interest. Apparently there are, and they're called character blogs. Here's a discussion of it (a pretty short discussion at the moment, but it might grow):
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=338988

These are not quite what I was asking about, since I was mainly thinking of blogs used to promote mainstream novels, but it is interesting that people are using blogs in this creative, non-commercial way to get their writing out into the public sphere (even if the quality's not fantastic) and possibly to force themselves to maintain the write-everyday discipline - that date stamp's a fine incentive.

These character blogs intersect in many ways with the huge fandom world of fan-fiction, stories about the characters of Star Trek or Harry Potter or Buffy off-screen, giving rise to a whole lexicon - canon, Mary Sue, slash (don't ask). Blogs are a new and fun way of exploring that world.

No comments: