Thursday, March 09, 2006

An article about Libya

I hesitated to post a link to this. It's bloody harsh. I can't say I agree with much of it, but I haven't been here long - but then neither was he. I can tell you you can in fact get menus in Libyan restaurants (he's implying there's no choice, I think, just like in a damn Commie nation). And if he'd read his Lonely Planet, he'd know "the regime" doesn't tolerate tourists running around by themselves because tourists like to desecrate thousands-of-years-old artwork. Or is that just the official story? He also makes it sound like he's complaining even when he says there's little commercial advertising and shopkeepers didn't hassle him to buy stuff, like those are bad things (but maybe, from his point of view, they are, because they 'prove' the suppression of capitalism or some such). Anyway, it's an incredibly biased piece with a distinctly US flavour (just watch those comparisons to Stalin fly - Mr G [or Col Q] ain't a saint, but nor is he a Stalin-type), but there's photos.

A pack of cigarettes here, by the way, costs $1.50. Just thought I'd share that. I don't smoke, and I still find that amazing. Time to start an e-bay business.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a weird article. He obviously hasn't been anywhere non-Western before, and half his complaints were of the "this wasn't what I expected" variety. Ugh. He could have just stayed at home and waved a flag instead of writing this, I reckon.

Cap'n Tightpants said...

Especially the complaints about his hotels - c'mon, I stayed in worse places in France...maybe he needs to pay more if he wants a good room.

LadyCroc said...

Have you tried smoking Libyan cigarettes???
Amazingly one of them is calles SPORT! And there is a lady fashion brand with perfume, too.
Now talk about the power of advertising.....

Anonymous said...

Complaints ,complaints! When making a decision to go abroad you just plainly have to put up with everthing that goes wrong !You are going to have an adventure and want first class quality service?? Who are we kidding ? ?