Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Money

Libya is very much still a cash society; paying for everything on credit or debit card is not really done here, and neither is paying by cheque as far as I can tell (but then, we don't have a bank account here, so don't have a cheque book either). ATMs are proliferating, but issue 10-dinar notes, which makes you feel extremely rich when you have even 10 wedged into your wallet (the maximum an ATM dispenses is $400, though often they have run out of money and can't issue much).


Here's a photo of the notes. There's a nice new 10-dinar note, that has a picture of a key Libyan figure in resistance against the Italians (tomorrow is 'Evacuation of the Italian Force' Day, all international communications and flights will be shut down). Then an old 5-dinar note, with the new one on top so you can see how big they used to be. A 1-dinar note, and one on top that's been through the wringer. Mr G's on the 1-dinar note.

Up top is a half-dinar and quarter-dinar note, very handy for the bakeries where you have to buy 5 French sticks to be even able to pay a quarter note. There are 20-dinar notes, but I don't see them much. Haven't seen anything bigger than that.


Here's a photo of the grand total of 3, count them, 3, coins that I've gotten in change over the last eight months (all from bakeries, for buying less than 5 rolls). There's a 50-dirham coin (there's 1000 dirhams in a dinar, but it's pretty much equal to 5c - they ask for 25 in the bakery, not 250), 100-dirham coin (10c), and actually a half-dinar (500 dirham; 50c) coin, which must be a pretty new innovation since they don't seem to be in common currency yet.


And this is a photo of the new bank (I had a better photo but now I can't find it), which opened a little while ago and they cleaned up all the road and the approaches to it for Mr G to come and visit/open it. I think this post - new notes, new coins, new bank - has given some idea of how much Libya has changed and is changing. It's been amazing how many new stores and restuarants have opened in just the last few months.

No comments: