Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Spices

I have been neglecting to give appropriate kudos to the Tripoli government - lots of orange-clad workers are out and about cleaning up rubbish from the coast road down Gargaresh and all the way through Janzour. And not just rubbish, I saw one poor group sweeping up sand from the side of the roads, why don't we just give them a giant rock and ask them to push it uphill for eternity? The city is looking much cleaner these days.

I also have another new cafe to plug, this one is Ca Cao opposite the Omega Centre on Gargaresh. Not as good as Cafe Marcus, but anyone who does ice coffee and hot chocolate is alright by me.

On to this week's entry, my local spice guy (though the main thing I buy from him is nuts and dried apricots rather than spices as such). These photos are very blurry I'm afraid, but it's just to give you an idea of what he sells in his little alcove in the grocery store.















Reading: Fragile Things, Neil Gaimon (collection of short stores after Smoke and Mirrors) and In Cold Blood, a classic of creative non-fiction.
Watching: The Seven-per-Cent Solution, a 1976 movie in which Sherlock Holmes and Siegmund Freud team up to solve a kidnap mystery in Vienna. Featuring killer white horses and the immortal line (uttered in a brothel), 'Don't look Watson, the queen wouldn't like it'...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a fantastic place to get spices in Sidi Masri (next to the baker on the road leading to the gas station and roundabout) The stuff they sell is very fresh and super clean. It's a family owned business and they do all the grinding and preparation by themselves. Also the workers in the shop are very helpful and offer you samples of anything and everything - terrific customer service!.. Libyans are learning... finally!

Chatalaine / شاتالاين said...

Sounds like a lovely place.
It must smell wonderful!!