Tuesday, August 02, 2005

First post...

I'm a bit self-conscious about this. I have friends who blog and read others' blogs every day but I've never really seen the appeal, particularly of the ones which are very internal-looking - today I got up, had breakfast and washed the cat... And I clicked on a couple of random blogs in Blogspot, and both were just advertising, listing phrase variations for whatever product they were selling, posted everyday, presumably to rate highly on Google.

The ones that link to news and interesting sites etc are more useful, more entertaining for anyone not family and friends. Then there's the famous-people ones, which are only really interesting when the famous person either shares some gossip or has a hissy fit (a la Anne Rice).

The democratisation of publishing this way, while it leads to a lot of crap, also helps combat the monolithic nature of the publishing houses now, too, for example when bloggers pick up on stories that the mainstream press is ignoring, or expose hoaxes that the mainstream press has accepted. I hope we look at that in the nanopublishing unit.

Here's a link to one of my favourite blog-type websites, but it's not really a blog at all.

No comments: