Having trouble getting the textbook, it's sold out in the bookshop, and by the time they order more in, I won't need it anymore, and both copies are gone in the library, and it doesn't appear to be in the Reserve. Of all books, you'd think it would be available as an e-book...and it is. Ugly shopping cart though, and it took me to work out that even though nothing happened when I pressed the Order button, I had to go to the (hard-to-find) check-out link to see my order. And it told me nothing about how I was going to receive my order, I just had to assume I would get an email with an attachment or link...and this assumed email still hasn't arrived, the day after the order, so so much for instant gratification and quicker access, and now I'm concerned about exactly what I've bought...Gotta make it easier for people if this newfangled e-book technology is to take off.
Well, maybe it won't be e-book technology, not for a long time, maybe it will be physical POD with the e-publishing making things easier and cheaper, and, as I've said before, giving more opportunities to new authors. I'm sure I'd be clearer on where the future of publishing lies if I could just READ THE TEXTBOOK!
[For the record, I got the pdf of the textbook emailed to me today, more than 24 hours after my order, when I had been hoping I would get it in time for the class; it landed in my spam folder. But I'm being unnecssarily harsh - it did arrive, it is fair that they wait for my credit card to be charged, it was cheaper than the print copy, and I don't have to wait ages for the hardcopy to be mailed to me. All good.]
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment